liffy99;331154 Wrote:
> I remember the good old days when the source was the source and we all
> spent many happy hours tweaking and changing equipment to get the best
> out of it. Now not only do the manufacturers keep changing the
> platforms but seems they also mess up the source itself.
>
> aagaaghh

Of couse, even in the good old days of vinyl there could be large
variances in volume btween albums depending on how "hot" they were cut
and on how long each side was. Put on Todd Rundgren's "A Wizard, A True
Star" album that clocks in near 30 minutes a side and compare it to any
album with 20 minutes a side and the difference in loudness is obvious.
Longer albums had to have their level reduced so that the squiggles on
the vinyl were narrower.

At least today we have tools like Replaygain to deal with these things
in the digital world!

--
Rick B.