results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43198
Question: Do you agree with this posting?

- Yes
- No
- In the middle

Omeriah;266658 Wrote:

> ... But I and many of my friends are adamant about running SC7 through
> an NAS, not through our PCs. In the name of energy efficiency, speed,
> and performance, having a PC in the middle is just that, an unnecessary
> middleman that sucks away energy, money, and performance.

It took me a while, but I think I found the root of your post :-),
you're as bad as I am!

Social comment about open-source to commercial product transition:  I
believe this is the best one yet.  Way to go, it's been a while since
you posted those lab bench pictures w/the bottle of beer in the back
ground.  Let's keep the project as open sourced as possible.

About NAS boxes:  A NAS is a computer.  Most run linux because M$ would
cost them money.  There's little margin for such extravagance and no
real advantage that I can think of.  Part of that cost cutting involves
slower processors and less memory.  Both are necessary to carry on
SqueezeCenter features such as sound and image transcoding.  These
features are necessary to make the slimdevices/logitec experience as
smooth as possible (i.e. Can an apple ipod play a FLAC file?  Do you
have to convert your album images all to jpeg or normalize the size to
800x800?  No, it's done for you - every time - and in your case on your
PC - not on your NAS box.).

About PCs:  They are getting faster, cooler and cheaper.  I built my
last duel core for less than $300 and I bet it's consuming less power
then my 4 year old computer I'm using now.  At some point in this game,
it's going to be cheaper to use a full blown computer in a NAS then the
stripped down computers currently being used.  This would be what
logitec/slmidevices would be working against.  A time table where their
NAS product (if they came out w/one) would essentially become more
expensive then a real PC.

So should logitec/slimdevices build a NAS that runs squeezecenter?:
Well, I would say the success of such a box would be marginal at best.
It would have to run linux and be nearly as powerful as a PC for the
above reasons.  It would have to be closed and secure as possible to
prevent accidental or malicious alterations that would render it a
brick.  And it would have to be field upgradeable w.r.t. squeezecenter
at the very least.  Something of a paradox when you're also talking
security.  All this would have to come to market and be sold in enough
volume to recover the OTEF as well as turn a profit before the above
time table runs out.

I am sure the real question you want to ask to propel
logitec/slimdevices into building this box is: How many of you are
there and how much are you willing to pay? Just my guesses but how does
1,000 buyers @ $1,000 per box or 10,000 buyers @ $500 per box sound.  At
those prices, I'll stick to my PCs.

...it'll be a close call.

--