results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43198
Question: Do you agree with this posting?

- Yes
- No
- In the middle

So if I understand it correctly, the desire is for a simplified
SqueezeCenter "appliance" that Joe Blow the non-PC user can buy.  He
can just insert a CD and everything will be taken care of - the music
will show up on his Squeezebox, properly tagged and ready to play.

A few questions, then...

Where does the tag info come from?  Mr. Blow doesn't have a PC, so why
would he have an internet connection?  I guess you could embed the
FreeDB database into the SqueezeCenter box, but we all know FreeDB
isn't that accurate or consistent - and how would you provide FreeDB
updates?  How would you provide updates for new SqueezeCenter versions?
And what about album art?

Mr. Blow doesn't have a network either - do you include a wi-fi AP in
the SqueezeCenter box?  And how do you control the SqueezeCenter
settings and the ripper/encoder/tagger settings?  You'd probably need a
monitor, keyboard, and mouse.  OK, PCs have been around for decades and
Joe has never found a reason to buy or use one.  But he's going to buy
a SqueezeCenter PC and Squeezebox just to listen to CDs he already
owns?  No.

Seems to me this whole idea of "expanding the market" has no merit.
Joe Blow is happy with CDs and radio.  He's much more likely to want XM
or Sirius than a Squeezebox.  And if he does want an all-in-one
appliance that includes ripping and storage, there are many companies
that already offer that.  For the price of a Squeezebox and
SqueezeCenter PC he could just buy an Olive.

If, on the other hand, the desire is for a minimal PC optimized to run
SqueezeCenter, then I think there's an opportunity for a 3rd-party PC
builder to fill that market.  There's no reason it has to be Logitech.
This system should be:

A small, fanless mini-PC that runs SqueezeCenter 24/7 and plugs into
the router.  It should have room for 1 SATA drive and USB ports for
expansion and/or backup drives.  Should have enough CPU and RAM to
handle a large library.  All control would be via a browser interface
from another PC on the network.  No optical drive or ripping, no
graphics card or monitor, just a small, quiet box that runs
SqueezeCenter headless so you can turn your PC off.  It would also be
handy for taking a Squeezebox on the road or to another location.  It
should cost no more than $300.

--
Pale Blue Ego