Thanks, Sue. I have experienced stuttering of .mp3, .m4a, and flac. But,
it is the case that sometimes .mp3 will play when the others don't (like
right now, with wireless signal strength at 53. Well, it was - now it is
just stuttering again, wireless strength is unchanged). I know that with
similar wireless signal strength, I have been able to play the other
formats, so that just confuses me.

I was just looking into setting a lower total bitrate, but when the
.mp3 stutters too, I wonder if it's worth it. It would be nice if it
was a temporary fix to do that - it's been disappointing to get this
whole thing set up for my husband as a gift and then have it completely
not work.

I haven't tried setting static IP addresses (I haven't done that
before, but I have a nice new DLink DIR-655 that I know can do that
somehow). I know that doing that and doing wiring are some things that
may help. I wish that it was clear what problems would relate to which
fix so I know what is worth my time to look into.

I hadn't thought of moving the receiver instead of the router - thanks
for pointing that out to me. Maybe that's worth a try for whatever it's
worth.

I never did install those add-ons - thanks for asking about that.

I'll keep checking here for any advice!

--
what_to_buy