My parents were building a new & large house.

Instead of running analog speaker cable all over the house and deal
with all the issues involved with that, I started searching google for
IP Audio Distribution.  I also slipped some "synchronization" keywords
here and there because they like to entertain & being able to sync the
music was a must.

I first ran across only a couple solutions.  Then I found the Sonos
stuff.  It looked cool but was a bit pricey & I didn't like the fact
that their high dollar remote had a fixed. non-replaceable battery.

After finding Sonos, I saw some people comparing their setup to a
device called the "squeezebox", so I came over here to look around.   I
liked the open source flexibility - another big selling point for me was
I was able to demo the system for free and without obligation.

I downloaded softsqueeze to three laptops, set up a slim server on a
desktop and proceeded to sync them to an internet radio station.
Very Cool!   I figured if it worked that well with a java software
client, running on wireless laptops, to an internet radio station no
less - the hardware should run great.

The only thing was that the LCD remote of the Sonos system was very
cool, however, the expense, the non replaceable battery, and the fact
that it was a closed system (meaning your hostage to how often they
decide to update & add features) held me back.

I bought my first squeezebox & shortly after that, I saw that a
controller was being worked on & in the beta stages, Excellent!

Now I have a Squeezebox, a Duet, a software player, and a Boom.   They
get used almost daily (in fact, I'm listening to Radio Paradise right
now).

That all said, I still haven't talked my parents into populating their
new house with any audio devices....

--
86atc250r