Mine was a long and extravagant road. I wanted a database to track my
music library, and wrote several over the years: ModPerl+MySQL
(inventory only), AOLserver+Oracle (included lossy MP3 encodings for a
few hundred CDs), and finally settled on a (in retrospect, strangely)
flexible solution using LDAP for metadata and hacked XBoxes running a
custom Linux install (tuned to a shoutcast server for synchronization,
though that never really worked well). The XBoxes worked much like a
VFD-less SB and cost significantly more and produced inferior quality
output.

After writing off my own development efforts, I purchased an SB2 and
just used it for a few years. It was very functional for playback,
which ended up outweighing the lack of good metadata. It died a slow
death as the power supply misbehaved (random power loss, and later,
dodgy Ethernet connectivity and a dead display). It did work well
enough that I replaced it with several SB3s (all of which continue to
work well). Maybe a Boom would be nice for the kitchen...

I like to keep notes on music as I acquire, enjoy, and otherwise
encounter  it over time. Neither SC7 not last.fm support this in a
usable way. Maybe library management and flexible metadata will make it
into some future SC release...

--
syburgh