Interesting discussion.

I've never been a fan of 'swiss army' devices, but there is at times a
value to synergy. Now that battery life has improved, if I already had
a phone with WIFI ability, I would actually purchase an app that would
let me control or listen to my SC library around the house, especially
if I could plug in headphones. I was actually thinking of suggesting a
small device to drive headphones from the SC to SD. I have 3 SB2's and
1 SB1. I've been toying with getting a Sqeezebox Boom for working in
the garage and yard but now am wondering about a SBC to plug into my
electronic hearing protection. If my phone could do that then the Boom
would be a sure bet.

I have not seen anyone mention this iPhone alternate that uses the
Windows Mobile operating system:

http://www.htc.com/www/product/touchhd/overview.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/154636/hands_on_with_the_htc_touch_hd.html
HTC Touch HD has a 3.8-inch WVGA (480x800) pixels touch sensitive
display. It features a newer version of the TouchFLO 3D, Wi-Fi, aGPS,
3G and 5-megapixel camera into a 12mm slim body.

It looks to be available in the US 2009QTR1.

Now before I get flamed about windows, be mindful of the large body of
software out there for such WM based PDA's and Smartphones. I have used
over the years a string of such PDAs (currently Dell Axim x50v) to hold
medical textbooks, drug interaction programs and a "peripheral brain"
note taking program that syncs to my desktop. AFAIK there is no Apple,
(and unfortunately) linux based alternative. The Palm architecture is
significantly inferior in function. The Axim I have has a CompactFlash
AND a SD (not sdhc) slot. It is multitasking. I can move my 2 and 4 GB
SD cards with mp3's to my Garmin Nuvi and have trip music.

This new device as a larger and more detailed screen than the iPhone,
good battery life, a standard headphone jack with by report decent
sound, micro sdhc slot (so up to 32 GB) and a very good touch screen
(even if resistive vs capacitive). I intend to seriously consider one
to replace my aging Axim, unless something awful come out about them.
However reviews have been very good for versions released out of US.

Clearly the PDA market is merging to the smartphone. Dell is out and my
Axim is not longer supported by the notes software I have become
dependent on. I suspect if I let my MS ActiveSync upgrade, I will loose
desktop syncing as well. Up to the htc touchHD, no WM smartphone had a
screen to match the size and clarity of a PDA like the AXIM x50/51v.
This get very important when at times you begin to need reading
glasses! <g>

I'm not an iPhone, iPod fan as their iTunes borders on viral behavior,
wanting to take over my music library. I also prefer the more open
formats of mp3 and flac. I have two servers running SC, a new one, and
a very old one (10 y/o bx6 celeron 400). I still haven't figured out
how to make my wife's ipod nano play nice with the SC library so I just
copy over the files from the server onto her machine. I was given a wide
screen nano a year ago and haven't even used it.

--
amgalitz