Well a quick google turned up that usually the phone has to either be
'white listed" VZ or be the same model or even branded for VZ. Since
the phone really isn't out in the US yet, I'm content to limp with my
PDA/Axim and separate little LG phone until spring. I'll see what is
out then. I may even be eligible for a discount by then.

My point for the thread was that the htc touchHD might be worth writing
apps for given its capabilities. I has clear distinctions from the
iPhone such that I expect it will carve out a niche. Right off the bat,
anyone using a Windows Mobile PDA in a corporate environment could
dispense with their phone and with that gorgeous screen and some
reading glasses do real web work for short stints; powerpoints with a
bluetooth projector dongle

Yeah, I'm real happy with Ubuntu for servers. I've had some issues on
the AMD64 box running the 64bit desktop intrepid but that's not a
surprise. I allocate partitions for 3 OS installations and a separate
/home and /grub. I also keep the data on separate drives. So its easy
to switch between  a hardy 8.04 desktop into one of the extra OS
partitions, most likely a 32 bit version and compare how they work. I
have a good idea now of which packages I'll actually use so the install
will be cleaner. I also know more and won't muck up the conf files so
much troubleshooting <G>.

Getting user interfaces right is a challenge and ongoing process and
just when it seems to be there, the market, technology, regulations etc
change!

I been resisting moving from Office2000, but the latest service pack at
work, quietly removed the word 2000 compatibility open. Our IT
department was surprised when we could no longer find it on the menu. I
had hoped OpenOffice would step in but I work on regional documents that
use features in Word2003 it doesn't seem to support. Oh well, NewEgg has
3 license copies of OFFICE 2007 home and student for $70 right now and
I've just sent Redmond some green. It doesn't have Outlook but I'm
migrating to Google apps for mail and calender anyway. That's were the
WM and internet connectivity of the phone might pay off unless VZ kills
it. If so then that is a business opportunity for other carriers.

I've just gotten spousal approval for a SqueezeBox Boom. She bought the
idea that portable tunes increased chances of workshop and house project
completion. She also like the idea of synchronized tunes outside during
parties. I love the whole integrated SC, SB networked concept. After
this, I'll have portable tunes in the garage shop, outside, living
room, Tv room, master bedroom with a SB1 left over for somewhere. Now
it would be way cool to control it from my phone too, (yes, iPhones do
that now, but I need WM).

Actually, come to think of it, has anyone written an app to control SC
from a WIndows Mobile wifi capable PDA like the Axim or HP IPAQ? that
would port right over to the HTC TouchHD?

Code:

  Oh yes. Saab top them all!
  I think that's because they can only bring over the spare part with Reindeer
sledges when the Baltic sea freezes over

and you forgot about the Reindeer having to go through agricultural
quarantine at the border.

cheers

--
amgalitz