Thanks guys - that's given me a few things to look into.

Currently trying a scan without AVG running - see how that goes.

I'll do some temperature checking later.  It's an old Compaq Deskpro
machine, although all the media is on a Buffalo NAS drive.  Anyone know
whether this version thrashes the machine and more on a scan?  The CPU
is at a steady 15% in the Task Manager, peaking at around 50% every so
often.  Can't speak for the HDD though.  I'll give it a good hoover,
since it probably needs it.

Like I say, I had the power cycling issue with Squeezecenter two
releases ago (although it could have coincided with Wireless changes),
and it fixed itself with the last release.  I'll run NetStumbler -
thanks for the heads up on that - and get it plugged in via a wired
connection.  Everything else running wirelessly seems to be OK,
although I don't pretend to know much about all that.

--
Cessquill