Cessquill;394719 Wrote:
> Thanks for that Mark, downloading Speedfan now.  I got to the (probably
> illogical) conclusion, since the processor didn't really seem to be
> under any significant load at the time and the stopping of the beeps
> seemed instant when scanning stopped (which in retrospect could be a
> cooling effect, I just hadn't figured on it being that quick).
> Granted, strange things happened when it all went wrong, but it was all
> so strange I couldn't get task manager up to check any loads.

Processors cool down really quickly when the load is removed because
the fan has been turned up to maximum.

The SC scan process is fairly CPU intensive, but it occurs in several
stages.  The first stage accesses the discs, and that causes moderate
CPU load and high I/O load (you'll see your disc access light go
crazy).  The second stage is some sort of database assimilation stage,
which puts a heavy load on the CPU.  Subsequent stages are also CPU
intensive (merge various artists, artwork scan, database optimization)
but are usually shorter except for the artwork scan.

> It always seemed to be stalling at the same point too (an ASF file in a
> tidyup folder).  I moved that folder out the way today, and a scan went
> through without any problems at all.  Mind you, that could just be
> coincidence.

It could be it was stuck in a loop.

> The machine is a 2.66GHz, but only 512mb RAM on board.  Its only other
> task is running as a server for MyMovies (DVD jukebox software).  All
> media files are stored on NAS drives.

That should be fine for SC if you're running Windows XP.  I did that
for a while with a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4.  It won't do for Vista, but I'm
not even sure if Vista itself can run on 512 MB.

That said, the 2.66 GHz processor could be an infamous Pentium 4
Prescott (aka P4D) which ran very, very hot.

--
Mark Lanctot

Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta), SBC (early beta)
Stored: Boom (PQP1 - early beta)
Sold: SB3, Duet