Thanks for that Mark, downloading Speedfan now.  I got to the (probably
illogical) conclusion, since the processor didn't really seem to be
under any significant load at the time and the stopping of the beeps
seemed instant when scanning stopped (which in retrospect could be a
cooling effect, I just hadn't figured on it being that quick).
Granted, strange things happened when it all went wrong, but it was all
so strange I couldn't get task manager up to check any loads.

It always seemed to be stalling at the same point too (an ASF file in a
tidyup folder).  I moved that folder out the way today, and a scan went
through without any problems at all.  Mind you, that could just be
coincidence.

The machine is a 2.66GHz, but only 512mb RAM on board.  Its only other
task is running as a server for MyMovies (DVD jukebox software).  All
media files are stored on NAS drives.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

--
Cessquill