Andy8421;412839 Wrote:
> Pippin,
>
> Slightly off topic, but have you looked at using the IR capabilities in
> squeeze products to give iPeng control over other AV devices? To my
> simple mind, it doesn't seem that much of a stretch.
>
> I was wrestling with my Logitech harmony remote yesterday, which has a
> beast of a touchscreen interface and thought that the iPeng / iPod type
> application would be much better.
>
> Wouldn't involve any additional hardware except for the IR wand as I
> think squeeze products (apart from duet?) can drive an IR LED
> directly.
>
> The concept of a single remote using an iPod touch that was wireless /
> networked across all my AV equipment sounded very appealing.
>
> Just a thought.
SC works as a server application. When you point an IR controller at a
SB it just takes the command and passes it to the server. The server
then takes action and actually tells the box what to do.  This is that
way because any device (controller, SB, web interface, 3rd party
plugins, ...) can tell the SC server what they want and then the server
sends the commands to the device.

So the best way to use iPeng in my mind is for it to send commands to
the server (which is what it is doing natively) and have the server
direct the action appropriately.

There are various tools out there to create plugins for example and
some of these also pick up the information within the plugin to
communicate to other devices.  For example I wrote a plugin that picks
up volumn changes from the SB (could be driven by iPeng, SB remote, web
...) and it then communicates to an AVR to actually process the
request.

In iPeng 1.1 it exposes more server sided functionality without
actually having rewritten that code natively in iPeng.  Asking iPeng to
create new and unique controls that would be useful from SC in general
is a sticky slope from a development standpoint.  Its better, more
efficient and cleaner to do this from the server side.

Now having said that I am sure that there are some specific features
that might be best done natively and don't have a universal appeal.  ie
like getting access to native content on the iTouch device.

--
Aesculus

Chris