Mushroom_3;435519 Wrote:
> Not something I'd admit to. That piece of kit was let out the door far
> too soon in my opinion.

I wasn't a beta tester for that kit, but generally it's not beta
testers making release decisions.

Also, from my own experience: You can beta test until you are blue in
the face, you will NEVER be able to find all issues, ESPECIALLY systems
interaction issues (which make up for a good part of Controller's
issues). If you've got 100 beta testers than immediately after the beta
test you will find out about those other 9 trillion routers out there in
the market.

My share of issues iPeng had in the past that NEVER showed up in the
beta test for iPeng but immediately after the beta in the releases:
- The "The The" issue
- The Thecus Artwork sizing issue (actually a Thecus issue)
- The large .bmp embedded artwork issue
- The really, really gigantic database issue (currently the biggest DB
iPeng is tested against had 247.000 tracks, waiting for complaints from
people having 7mil tracks)
- The "Player has no name" issue (actually, not a legal condition in
SC, happens anyhow)

Actually, the "The The" issue is even an especially good example, that
one was one of the issues I identified early on (and worked around), yet
the workaround got lost during an update and no one found that issue.

The only way around these kind of issues is systematic testing meaning
you do a comprehensive design of your overall system COMPLETELY defining
the intended behavior if the system upfront and designing a
comprehensive set of positive and negative test cases plus systematic
testing of this.
Now there is absolutely NO WAY that you can ever afford that approach
for a consumer electronics product. Experience from IT projects shows
that your testing and integration effort if you do it this way WELL
exceeds the actual development effort, ESPECIALLY WRT required time.

So yes, we will have to live with soft and hardware that will be flawed
unless we all start buying stuff that has the features of two years ago
at four times the price of current equipment.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote, at penguinlovesmusic.com