copyright infringement ≠ theft

Why do some people have such a hard time with this distinction?

Theft is taking something from someone and depriving them of it. It is
a criminal offense.

Copyright infringement is making an unauthorized copy (and deprives
someone only if the infringer would have otherwise bought the
intellectual property in question. Often he or she would not have.)
Copyright infringement is a civil offense, not criminal.

Now that we have that cleared up, what is the best and most ethical way
to dispose of our now useless CDs?

(If I certify that I have destroyed them, will the RIAA issue me some
certificate of licensed use of the IP contained on those CDs? No? So I
have to keep a large and heavy mass of plastic to prove that I have a
legal right to listen to this music? This does not seem reasonable.)

What I have done with some of my CDs is traded them on Lala.com. I
don't know how active this aspect of lala is anymore, it's been a while
since I've been active there. They facilitate 3 way trades for $1.75
including postage. You list the CDs you want to trade and make a list of
the CDs you would like to receive in trade. They notify you if someone
wants a CD you have, if you OK the trade, you get the address of the
member to send the CD to. Then lala aranges for some other member to
send you something on your want list. The cool part is that 20% or more
of the income of the service goes to the artists involved in the traded
CDs, and if these are not easy to find, then to a fund to provide health
and retirement benefits to working musicians. Artists get no revenue
from used CD sales in a record store in contrast.

So you trade for new music, the artists make more than they probably
did on the original sale of their CD, and the RIAA gets nothing. Seems
like a win win win to me. I should get back on there and trade some CDs.

I buy almost no CDs from retail outlets these days. When artists I'm
interested in offer new material as lossless downloads, I eagerly
support them and buy the music. I buy many CDs directly from artists at
shows, because they receive a greater percentage of this sale.

The only CDs I keep in the house are ones with particularly interesting
packaging (like Tool) or CDs by artists with whom I'm personally
acquainted.

If the music industry would get hip and start offering what I want to
buy, lossless music that doesn't come on a piece of plastic, I'll buy.
Why are they so stupid? They have brought their downfall on themselves.

--
bephillips

More than 40,296 songs on 2,789 albums by 2,126 artists.

Mostly flac, some mp3 and aac.

Version: 7.3.3 - 24799 @ Thu Jan 29 03:01:48 PST 2009
Operating system: Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F33) - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: ppc
Perl Version: 5.8.8 - darwin-thread-multi-2level
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-standard
On a 1.2GHz G4 Mac iBook with 768MB RAM

http://db.etree.org/bephillips
http://www.last.fm/user/bephillips