radish wrote:
> exile;489920 Wrote:
>> However, the world of squeezebox is heavily skewed towards pc.

> That's not really fair - the problem is that up until now no-one has
> made a decent mac ripper/tagger/manager because of the dominance of
> iTunes. It's not Logitech's fault that Apple won't support AccurateRip
> or FLAC.

I was wondering about @exile's claim. I haven't run Windows associated
with my SqueezeBoxen for many years. My SBS server has never been a
Windows box. (Not Mac either, I speak Linux) and even my primary web
browser to talk to the SBS pages are from Linux.

Rather than being skewed towards the Windows world, one of the prime
attractions, and the main thrust of SBS server and usage models is not
being tied to Windows.

If you are talking about ripping utilities, sure, Accurip is
Windows-only, but that is (1) not required and (2) even if you like it,
its only used during the first minutes of when you get a new CD.

I've never looked at iTunes, but I do understand that it is wildly
popular despite a lot of known flaws.

To the OP, have you considered just keeping your now old and obsolete PC
and using it as the SqueezeBoxServer? Either with Windows or with Linux?

There is nothing that says your server has to be the same OS as what you
use on a daily basis.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/