agillis;496811 Wrote:
> We now have FLAC mirror instead of rip to mp3. It speeds up the ripping
> process only having to rip to FALC. When your done you run FLAC mirror
> and it will make mp3s out of any FLACs you don't have mp3s of. It will
> also update any tags you have changed!! You never need to edit your mp3
> files just your FLACs. If you use tag&rename you can change the genre on
> a lot of files at once.

OK, that makes sense.

agillis;496811 Wrote:

> I'll look into it but this is a very complex feature to add. I would
> have to basically rewrite tag&rename in a web GUI.

Is it that complicated?  Does the ripper call the FLAC command line
encoder?  If so, you can specify the tag info on the command line.  You
would have to have some logic to say "use tag info read from CD info
service or use tag info specified in web form".  If your ripper is a
script, there may be command line tools you could use.  If you are a
Perl script, there is a library on CPAN to manipulate Vorbis tags in
FLAC files.

agillis;496811 Wrote:

> I personally ripping without a GUI. When I'm done ripping I open my
> VortexBox share in Windows. Sort by date so I see the albums I just
> ripped at the top. Then I use tag and rename's beautiful and very
> functional interface to fix any tags.

This certainly works and reflects what I used to do before I began
ripping directly to FLAC.

It's not that this is *hard* to do or that it can't be done, but this
means that the user needs to have a separate machine running Windows to
manage the tag information.

As I see it, Vortex Box strives to be a standalone solution (which I
think is a great goal!).  Not having the ability to manipulate tag
information prevents it from being truely standalone.

agillis;496811 Wrote:

> I's also like to point our we are using MusicBranz now so the tags
> should be better quality.
That's good to know - I wasn't aware of that.

I'll also second somebody else's request for built-in MusicIP support.
People might use Vortex Box for that ability alone!  If you can go
through the pain of figuring out how to make that work so others don't
have to feel the pain, it would be a big accomplishment.

--
maggior

Rich
---------
Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 duet, 1 receiver.  SuSE 11.0 Server running
SqueezeCenter 7.3.3, MusicIP, and SqueezeSlave.
Current library stats: 30,015 songs, 2,448 albums, 451 artists.
http://www.last.fm/user/maggior