agillis;496750 Wrote:

> 3. Option to interrupt a hung rip. You can restart the ripper from the
> GUI. It should already auto-retry without paronoia but it tries really
> hard with paronoia first. We are always trying to get a bit perfect rip
> so I don't think allowing users to disable paranoia is a good idea.

I have some imperfect CDs (scratches, copies) that VortexBox cannot rip
completely. I've had the ripper hang for more than an hour trying to rip
some tracks. I have no alternative but to stop the ripper, and I'm left
with an incompletely ripped CD.  Restarting the ripper does no good; the
ripper hangs at the same track every time.

To solve the problem, I have installed crip
(http://bach.dynet.com/crip) on my VortexBox. Crip is an excellent
command-line ripper that allows
a) ripping selected tracks
b) ripping a track with reduced error checking if a rip hangs.

I listen to all tracks ripped with reduced error checking to see if I
can hear any glitches; most times I cannot.

If you don't want to include these capabilities in the VortexBox
ripper, perhaps you can include crip (packaged as an rpm) in the 1.0
release.

--
Ron Olsen