maggior;496765 Wrote:
> Hi Agillis -
>
> I'm glad to see that you are continuing to improve VortexBox.  It's
> nice to have a simple solution to suggest to new users in the forum.
> Something like VortexBox has been needed for some time.
>
> I'd like to comment on the suggestion about allowing the user to edit
> the tags prior to ripping.  I'm not so sure that it easy to deal with
> after ripping.
>
> When I rip discs, I invariably end up tweaking something about the tag
> info prior to ripping.  This is especially true when dealing with meta
> data that comes from freedb.org.  The genre is commonly what is wrong or
> left out.  It's easier for the user to deal with at rip time.
>
> Dealing with it post rip is an issue when you are doing a large number
> of rips.  You would have to remember somehow which albums you ripped and
> SqueezeboxServer if the files ended up in the database before you did
> your cleanup operation.
>
> If the "rip to FLAC and mp3" feature is being used of VortexBox, the
> user has to remember to go back and retag both versions of the file.
> Eeek.
>
> Retagging FLACS post rip is a fast operation, but retagging mp3 isn't
> because it has to rewrite the entire file.
>
> IMO, it would be a big step forward for VortexBox to allow the user to
> preview/tweak the tag information prior to performing the rip.

We now have FLAC mirror instead of rip to mp3. It speeds up the ripping
process only having to rip to FALC. When your done you run FLAC mirror
and it will make mp3s out of any FLACs you don't have mp3s of. It will
also update any tags you have changed!! You never need to edit your mp3
files just your FLACs. If you use tag&rename you can change the genre on
a lot of files at once.

I'll look into it but this is a very complex feature to add. I would
have to basically rewrite tag&rename in a web GUI.

I personally ripping without a GUI. When I'm done ripping I open my
VortexBox share in Windows. Sort by date so I see the albums I just
ripped at the top. Then I use tag and rename's beautiful and very
functional interface to fix any tags.

I's also like to point our we are using MusicBranz now so the tags
should be better quality.

--
agillis

rip, tag, get cover artÂ… All you do is insert the CD!
http://vortexbox.org

agillis
Lead Developer VortexBox