agillis;496749 Wrote:
> 1. Option to preview and edit the tags before the rips start.- This
> would be quite a bit of work and would slow down ripping. it's easy to

Hi Agillis -

I'm glad to see that you are continuing to improve VortexBox.  It's
nice to have a simple solution to suggest to new users in the forum.
Something like VortexBox has been needed for some time.

I'd like to comment on the suggestion about allowing the user to edit
the tags prior to ripping.  I'm not so sure that it easy to deal with
after ripping.

When I rip discs, I invariably end up tweaking something about the tag
info prior to ripping.  This is especially true when dealing with meta
data that comes from freedb.org.  The genre is commonly what is wrong or
left out.  It's easier for the user to deal with at rip time.

Dealing with it post rip is an issue when you are doing a large number
of rips.  You would have to remember somehow which albums you ripped and
SqueezeboxServer if the files ended up in the database before you did
your cleanup operation.

If the "rip to FLAC and mp3" feature is being used of VortexBox, the
user has to remember to go back and retag both versions of the file.
Eeek.

Retagging FLACS post rip is a fast operation, but retagging mp3 isn't
because it has to rewrite the entire file.

IMO, it would be a big step forward for VortexBox to allow the user to
preview/tweak the tag information prior to performing the rip.

--
maggior

Rich
---------
Setup: 2 SB3s, 3 Booms, 1 duet, 1 receiver.  SuSE 11.0 Server running
SqueezeCenter 7.3.3, MusicIP, and SqueezeSlave.
Current library stats: 30,015 songs, 2,448 albums, 451 artists.
http://www.last.fm/user/maggior