results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73698
Question: Is third party plugins/applets important for your Squeezebox
purchases ?

- I won't buy any more Squeezebox products unless support for third
  party development is prioritized
- I won't buy any more Squeezebox products unless the third party
  plugins I rely on is supported
- I use third party plugins but I would still consider buying more
  Squeezebox products without them
- I don't use third party plugins so they aren't important to my
  Squeezebox purchases

mherger;504112 Wrote:
> Please note that there's no such thing as a Logitech decision to ban 3rd
> party development or similar, thus no decision to change.

Sorry Michael, but there has been a management decision to not allocate
any time for the Logitech developers to help the third party folks or to
stabilize the API, etc. So perhaps you are technically correct and will
be shown right in a court of law, but in practice, when there is no
support for openness, and that means specifically allocating some small
amount of engineering resources to helping the third party developers by
documenting and stabilizing the API, then in fact, the support is gone
and the efforts of the third party developers end.

No need to split verbal hairs here. If third party apps/plugins are
important to Logitech, they have to pony up some hours for it.

How many hours, that is a management decision. But zero hours is
effectively a ban.

Also a ban is "allowing Logitech employees to contribute to the effort
in their free time" as I've never seen a good software engineer who had
any free time. There are always either features to add, bugs to fix, or
vacations to take to recharge the mental batteries.

--
pfarrell

Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html