Philip Meyer;572089 Wrote:

> I can see problems with this approach:
>
> 1. Not all music is in LastFM's library, and scrobbling is also
> dependent on matching tags.
> 2. New music added to SBS library won't have been scrobbled, and thus
> never selected in a dynamic mix.
> 3. LastFM's recommendation engine often seems to choose from a very
> limited sub-set of artists.

Fair enough, it's not perfect, but the quality of your tags and
therefore database will always have an influence on using your library.

However, it's not correct to suggest that new music that has not been
scrobbled would not be added. The system would try to add whatever
artist/track recommended by LastFM regardless of if it's in your
library. The plug-in would then determine if the suggestion is in your
library. If it is, it would add it to the dynamic playlist, if it's
not, it would pick a track from the same artist, and if that's not
possible, it could query LastFM again for another suggestion.

I am not suggesting that we only use LastFM, but know  of LastFM and it
has served me well in the past. It also has the API we would need. If
another service has something to offer, by all means, let's look at
it.

My two cents ... and my attempt at continuing this conversation ... and
inspiring Erland to do his magic <grin>.

--
Berg