FredFredrickson;614449 Wrote:
> What's the next big squeezebox going to be?

Some thoughts follows below:

RECEIVER 2:
- Based on SqueezeOS, basically a Touch without the screen.
- One issue is that it needs faster CPU and more memory to be usable as
a SBS replacement with its built-in server.
- Another issue is that Logitech probably learned some lessons from the
Reciever which didn't have a screen and caused a support headache.
- Based on this I'm not sure this is a very probable product, it's
probably better for them to make a Touch 2 but it feels a bit early for
that.

TOUCH 2:
- A Touch with faster CPU, more memory and a 1 inch larger screen.
- The Touch get a lot of complaints for its built-in server which could
result in a Touch 2 but since users have the workaround to run SBS on a
PC I'm not sure it's a priority.
- The Touch also gets a some complaints for it's text visibility from a
distance but I don't think it's enough to result in a Touch 2 this soon
after the Touch release.

BOOM 2:
- A Boom based on SqueezeOS with a color display, possibly with a touch
display and possibly with a battery option.
- Makes sense to get rid of IP3K architecture, the question is just if
it provides enough advantages compared to the Radio which is already
available. The main difference would probably be stereo vs mono and I'm
not sure it's enough considering the fact that it will probably be in
the same price range as the Touch.

PICTURE FRAME:
- A display only device which is fairly cheap and can be used as a
large display to view what's playing from a distance. With the right
price this could be a huge success, an open source picture frame would
be possible to use for a lot of other things than just displaying
what's currently playing.

CONTROLLER 2:
- A Controller with a Touch screen.
- This doesn't make any sense at all to me, there is no way Logitech
can provide anything close to the Android/iPhone/iPad based hardware.
It's a lot better for them to focus on including the current third
party offerings in their marketing strategy.

HARMONY CONTROLLER:
- A harmony remote with two way Squeezebox communication, basically a
Harmony remote with hard buttons but also with integrated Controller
functionality.
- I believe this could be a potential success, it would also be a way
to both get the Harmony technology into Squeezebox owners home and get
the Squeezebox devices into Harmony owners home.
- Even if some new devices can be controlled over IP, the IR interface
is still going to exist for a long time.

REVUE 2:
- A Logitech Revue with Squeezebox support. This would also be a great
way to extend the Squeezebox family, the question is just if the Revue
has been successful enough to continue building future products on.
It's obvious that it provides great functionality but it's also obvious
that it's still a bit too geeky for the mass market.
- I'm not sure this requires new hardware, it might be possible with a
software update of the existing Revue.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))