TheLastMan;614946 Wrote:

> Ideally it should have an Intel x86 processor, a simple Linux interface
> and a single 1TB hard drive. Price it at under $300 / £200 and you would
> have a real winner - esp if marketed in a bundle with the Touch.  The
> Vortexbox is nearly there, but it needs to be sold and supported by
> Logitech if you are going to get most retailers and customers to buy
> it.

Would any of your non-technical non audiophile friends or relatives who
don't own a Squeezebox today pay $299 for a Touch plus $299 for a 1TB
server box ?

IMHO, the solution with the Touch which have a built-in server is the
best solution if they want to target the non-technical non geeky users
and local music, two boxes means two CPU's duplicate memory and thus
makes the solution too expensive. Honestly, I'm not sure any of my non
geeky friends would even get a $299 device with working built-in
server.

I think the Radio together with mysqueezebox.com is the best option
available for the mass market, it has the right price and can with
mysqueezebox.com be used for online music without a local server. It
just needs mysqueezebox.com to be a bit more reliable than it has been
during the last years.

A separate server box gets more interesting when we start to talk about
a multi room solution, but then we are back on the geeky side again.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))