Ah ha, I figured it out.  The app only looks for the location of the
server the first time it ever starts.  I cleared the cache, still
didn't issue the udp broadcast.  Then I went in and cleared the cache
and the 'data' that the app was storing.  After that I restarted the
app.  It went through the "Accept the terms", then had me enter the
user/pass.  After that, it did send the UDP broadcast and the server
responded with a UDP unicast.

This tells me that its storing the IP of the server in its data
somewhere.  I'm not sure what it would do if the server had moved,
maybe check again, maybe fail.  Luckily, I'm using a static IP for my
desktop so it doesn't move.

In either case, I'm not sure this solves the problem with the nook
because I've tried reinstalling it a few times, which I assume removes
the application data as well.

Also, I don't think I can hardcode the IP of the server using the
"official" app.  Is that something that can be done with
SqueezeCommander?

--
ajwillys