thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in getting back - the
subscribe feature didn't seem to work so I didn't know I had replies
waiting..!

My criteria are:

- Must be able to access my music from it using SB at any time - so
preferably has a sleep mode like a Mac (can WOL do this - see question
at the end?)
- Run quietly when it's 'sleeping'(so towers are out of the
question???)
- Mid-price (no more than, say, £400/$600). I’ll buy a monitor &
peripherals separately

I'll be using if for storing music, surfing the net, some basic work
etc. (using MS office) and a little bit of gaming (generally 4-5 year
old games).

I'd like to have the server on this machine and having the server on
the USB drive has failed utterly for me.

TBH the ideal machine would be a Mac Mini I think but they are so
darned expensive & I'm hoping I can get a PC that has the same 'always
on/low noise/low power' functionality...

What is 'Wake On LAN' and how would it work in practise? Does it mean I
can shut down my computer but the SB would wake it up..?

--
daytripper