results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=88916
Question: Why do you continue to use Squeezebox ?

- I'm satisfied with the Squeezebox system, why change something that
  works good ?
- I have already invested too much in Squeezebox devices, would cost
  too much to switch
- I have just purchased a new Squeezebox and won't switch to
  something else anytime soon
- I love the 3rd party plugin/app model and would only switch to
  something else that supports this
- I would consider switching if someone offered something with
  similar functionality
- I have already started to look for something else but haven't found
  anything interesting yet
- I have already started or completed the transition to something
  else

I actually can't remember how long ago I bought the first Squeezebox.

At the time I already had an extensive CD collection and storage was a
problem.  I could not easily have the whole collection available near a
CD player and it was too much trouble to dig into storage boxes or even
the loft to find some of the disks.

I wanted something that would enable me to put all the music on a
server and then listen to whatever took my fancy without having to find
the physical CD.  I also wanted HiFi quality, not necessarily audiophile
but good enough that I wouldn't be distracted from the music by
noticeable distortion or extreme colouration.  I already had some HiFi
separates and speakers so something that would plug into an input on my
existing amp would be ideal.

Someone at work recommended the Squeezebox and the fact that server
would work on my Linux PC was a definite bonus.  I bought a SB Classic
(though it wasn't called that at the time) and was very pleased with it
as it fulfilled all my criteria above.  The sound quality is certainly
good enough for my ears.

After that I bought some Squeezebox booms, first for my daughter's
bedroom then for our bedroom and the kitchen.  I wasn't expecting great
sound quality though I have been surprised how good the frequency
response is.  The stereo image is limited but no worse than a normal
boom box which would typically be used in the same location.  The
advantage of the SB booms is access to the same library I have already
spent the time ripping and no arguing over who has borrowed the CD.

I have a desk with both a work PC and home PC at it and over four years
ago I bought a HiFi amp and bookshelf speakers so I could listen while I
worked.  The home PC sound card output was simply connected to one of
the amp inputs.  On one PC upgrade I found the new integrated sound
card would only do 48k sample rate.  All other rates were converted in
software and the sound quality was poor.  Forcing the use of a better
resampling algorithm only changed poor to borderline I decided to save
some power by transferring the library (and much of my other data) to a
NAS and got another SB classic to hook up to amp on my desk.  The sound
quality is much better and while I am working on the work PC I can have
the home PC turned off.

The final development is discovering SqueezeCommander for Android.
This is an excellent application for controlling the squeezeboxes and
something I probably use more than the web interface.

So, to cut a long story short, at each stage I have chosen squeezeboxes
because they do exactly what I want and have at each stage I have been
pleased.  I chose satisfaction with the squeezebox system as the reason
I stick with it but of course I do now have a certain investment in the
system.

I did have an issue with a particular wireless router which I have
mentioned elsewhere but changing the router concerned fixed that
problem.

It appears my NAS should should be able to support DNLA players sharing
the same library even before SB server supports this but as yet I have
not had any reason to get one.  I don't have a particular interest in
building a video library and in any event we have a satellite PVR
attached to the only TV in the house which can obviously record and
also play BBC iPlayer content and an on-demand TV box too.

--
Fozzy