Kaizen28;646749 Wrote:
> there still appear to be only two viable alternatives in this market
> (Sonos being the other).

Has anyone seen a good feature comparison between Squeezebox and Sonos
?

As far as I've understood (Some of this might be incorrect because I
really don't know Sonos):
- *Wireless Networking*: Sonos use proprietary wireless network
protocol making it more robust and easier to setup than the standard
WiFi networking used by Squeezebox.
- *Format support*: Both seems to have support for all common file
formats
- *Online services*: Both seems to have fairly good support for all
premium online services
- *Need for computer*: Both require a computer for playback of local
music but Sonos works with UPnP and due this it works out of the box
with some NAS boxes. Squeezebox Touch works with a locally attached
hard drive but it isn't reliable for most users.
- *Product variants*: Sonos is missing a cheap mono player but besides
that Sonos have a bit more variants to make their products better fit
all possible rooms. Squeezebox have the advantage of having the battery
powered Radio allowing you to bring the player out in the garden without
any cables.
- *Player display*: Sonos don't have any display on the player they
only have display on the remote. Squeezebox have display on both player
and remote.
- *Audio quality*: So far I haven't seen any comparison I trust,
Squeezebox owners think their box sounds better and Sonos owners think
their box sounds better.
- *Third party additions*: Because of the open source nature of the
Squeezebox software there are more third party additions for the
Squeezebox.
- *Third party players*: Squeezebox have third party software players
for iOS and Android and also have a player for the computer. Since
Sonos just communicate via UPnP you can use a generic UPnP client on
iOS and Android to playback your music library in a Sonos environment.
- *Remote control*: Squeezebox support IR remote control making it
possible to control it with a universal remote, something that Sonos is
missing. Both have iOS and Android controllers. Sonos have a dedicated
graphical controller, something Squeezebox now is missing when the Duet
is no longer sold. Squeezebox have better third party offerings for iOS
and Android.
- *Price*: Sonos is generally a little bit more expensive. Zoneplayer
90 ($349) vs Squeezebox Touch ($299) or Play:3 ($299) vs Squeezebox
Radio ($179). Play:3 and Radio isn't really a fair comparison since
Radio is a mono player while Play:3 is stereo, but since the Squeezebox
Boom no longer is sold that's what we have to compare.
- *Future*: Hard to say but from my personal perspective it feels like
Sonos believe more in their products than Logitech believe in
Squeezebox. On the other hand, if Logitech decides to really push their
products out on the market they probably have the economical strength to
do so, just look what they recently did with Revue lowering the price
from $249 to $99.

Once again, I've probably missed a lot of advantages/disadvantages of
both platforms, so anyone that sees something that's missing or
incorrect, please correct me.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))