erland;646795 Wrote:
> Has anyone seen a good feature comparison between Squeezebox and Sonos ?

I think you've covered most of the points. You could do a search on the
slimdevices and sonos forums for a comparison I did about 5 years ago;
there have obviously been some changes, but the basics remain the same.
I've been using both platforms ever since, but I find that I use my
SqueezeBoxen a lot more.

Some major advantages of each platform as I see them:

Sonos advantages:
1) Easier to setup and operate for newbies and non-techy types. It
really does just work.
2) More robust networking because of their peer to peer mesh
networking.
3) Rock solid multi-player synchronization.
4) Music access is over SMB, so it works well with most OSs and NASs.
It does use UPnP for it's own communication, and a Zone Player can be
used as a UPnP renderer too, but that's not how it accesses external
media.
5) Everyone makes a big deal about the cost. But if you think about it,
each ZP90 zone player is only $50 more than an SBTouch if you have an
Android or iOS Device to control it with. Of course you will need to
add the $50 bridge if your first Zone Player is away from a wired
connection.

Squeezebox advantages:
1) Ability to handle higher than 44.1 KHz and 16 bit files with many of
the models. I increasingly have more of this material, so it works well
for me.
2) Display on player for most models.
3) The responsiveness of an IR remote for most models
4) Ability to configure menus easily, and sort music by multiple
criteria. Sort by newly added music is something I use very
frequently.
5) Plugins! MusicIP and the Spicefly SugarCube plugins are in
themselves worth the price of entry.

--
Nikhil