erland;671343 Wrote:
> 1. It's a Windows application and due to this it doesn't work reliably
> on any of my computers
> 2. I don't want a desktop or laptop computer to be turned on to play
> music, having the server in another room turned on is fine but that's
> never going to be running Windows.
> 3. I don't want to control the music from a computer, I always have
> access to a iPhone, iPad or IR remote in the listening room but I don't
> always have direct access to a computer and if I had it would be a WiFi
> conected laptop with limited harddisc space that can't contain all my
> FLAC music files.
>
> However, I do understand that MediaMonkey could be an excellent choice
> for everyone that have a stationary computer in their listening room,
> but these people should really also consider an Apple solution using
> AppleTV or AirPort Express as these works a lot better when being
> controlled from a computer than devices like Squeezebox/Sonos.

You don't have to.
As far as I am concerned, messing with weird platforms means looking
for problems.
That's why I usually stick with standard computers with Windows or
Linux, never weird NAS.
As far as multimedia is concerned, I'd stick with Windows, and the vast
majority of users do so.

When I need a software which only runs on Windows and has server
capabilities, and if you really want Linux, just install something like
Virtualbox on your Linux server, so it runs Windows as a distinct
machine.

In the end, you don't need desktop computer.
Just the smartphone app to control your remote Monkey server.
You have Linux server and virtual Windows on your physical machine
located elsewhere.
(This is basic stuff for computer guys, I agree it is not for non-tech,
but if you are not tech-aware, itis wise to stick with Windows).

You will answer that there is nothing for OSX ...
Well, you can use virtualbox on OSX as well as with Linux, and frankly
speaking, when you are an Apple people, it is much better to stick with
Apple software an Apple devices.
Apple is very nice, but it is certainly not meant to work flawlessly
with non Apple stuff.
Squeezeboxes are not Apple stuff.

--
nicolas75