erland;671371 Wrote:
> I'm not talking about NAS boxes, I completely agree with you that one
> shouldn't try to run LMS on a NAS, it just causes too much issues and
> bad performance. I'm talking about Linux and OSX servers which is all I
> have.
>
> I already use Windows in VirtualBox from time to time, but it isn't
> stable enough to use as music server. Let's just face it, Windows is a
> desktop operating system and not a server operating system, they have
> tried to make it work as a server but there are a lot of issues with
> using it that way, at least as long as you aren't a Windows geek and
> know how to configure it to run smoothly as a server.
>
> MediaMonkey on a Windows desktop computer is probably working great and
> might be a good solution for people with a stationary Windows computer,
> but it's important to remember that most non geeks are getting a laptop
> or tablet these days when their current computer is getting old, and a
> Wifi connected Windows laptop or tablet is not the best server device
> for a trouble free Squeezebox setup. It's also not the best way to
> store a large music library as laptop drives tends to be limited in
> size.
>
> What we need to reach the non geeks is a player which can take music
> from a Windows shared drive or a USB drive, pretty much what Sonos
> already provide today. If the Squeezebox Touch hardware was faster and
> had more memory it would be able to do this but it doesn't work with
> its current very limited hardware. But it's pretty pointless to discuss
> it here because most people on these forums are geeks in one way or
> another and want to run a separate server and doesn't want the
> Squeezebox to be simplified to fit the masses as it means we will also
> loose flexibility and advanced features.

I am surprised you have problems with virtual windows.
I use professionally virtual servers with various Linux flavors, and
Windows (XP, Seven, 2008 Server, etc ...) without stability problems.

I had not pay attention to yout SMD thread, may be it is a better
thread to discuss about that, be here are the first thoughts coming to
my mind.

As far as Windows is concerned, don't reinvent the wheel, MediaMonkey
is fine, can satisfy most needs, can be an effective solution, and is a
proof of concept that interfacing a good software with Squeezebox can be
achieved.
There are others softwares for Windows, may be as good as MediaMonkey.
There is just to make the same thing for them.

I read very quickly about SMD and may be what I will say is pointless,
but anyway ...
A lot of people asked MediaMonkey for a Linux version and open source
code.
They always refused, and (I think it is a wise answer) said there is no
secret here, that a good software team can develop a MediaMonkey for
Linux with good management and good understanding of user interface.
If every geek rush in to develop his own weird idea, they will probably
ruin the concept.

If I get it right, you need a MediaMonkey like software for Linux, with
decent library management.

Two options :

- it already exists, make the MonkeySqueeze-like for it
- it doesn't exist, start the project, but don't limit it to
Squeezeboxes

If you want people to help, you need a much wider use of it.
It should be able to control Squeezeboxes, but also others devices,
soundcards, external dacs ...

I doubt you will find a lot of useful contributors if it is limited to
a specific product line, which future is questioned.

As far as I am concerned, I would start with Windows, desktop, server,
virtual or not.

Then check if there is a good equivalent software for Linux.

If there is none, there may be a reason for that ... not enough demand,
or geeks simply not able to come with good understanding of what is a
user interface.

If there is really no other solution, that means you have to be the
manager for the Linux MediaMonkey ... that is a big project ...

--
nicolas75