Mnyb wrote:
> Safari ,mail and YouTube and som other apps usually survives in the
> background so it is doable

Now... what does this particular list of Apps tell us?
Yes, of course it's doable for Apple. That doesn't mean it's "doable"
for other App developers. You have zero control. You can try to play
nicely by freeing up a lot of memory (iPeng actually gets quite lean in
the background) but all of that doesn't help if the foreground App (and
Safari, Mail and YouTube, btw) consume a lot of memory.

> But none of my favourite apps survive well in the background

That's probably because they are not from Apple.

> :-/ that iPad 3 looks tempting..
Now... that iPad 3 isn't sold anymore, though, at least by Apple :) You
can get an iPad 4 instead. Missed when they start to ship it, though.
Probably in a few days.