TheLastMan wrote:

> The phone is a Sony Xperia Tipo which cost £80 + £10 for a 32GB microSD
> card bringing the total cost to around a 1/3 that of a new 32GB iPod
> Touch and only 2/3 of a 16GB Nano! In the face of the competition how
> Apple can justify those prices beats me.

Well for a start the Sony has a relatively poor 320x480 screen, that is
FIVE times less pixels than the iPod touch screen. The Touch (and the
iPhone 5) has what is probably the best quality screen on any mobile
device at the moment (better than the iPad 3 even).

The Sony is over TWICE as thick as the iPod touch and weighs slightly
more.

The Sony is made of plastic, the iPod is somewhat better built.

The iPod has a pretty good camera, including flash. The Sony, not so
much.

The iPod's CPU is over twice the speed of the Sony's.

The battery life on the iPod is the same as the Sony, despite the far
better screen and CPU.

The Sony is indeed a bargain, but there -are- reasons it is much cheaper
than the iPod (beyond purely Apple's higher profit margins).

When it comes down to it the iPod touch isn't really competing with the
Sony. People who want a 32GB MP3 player/Internet device are mostly going
to go and consider the iPod touch first, it is going to occur to very
few "normal" people to go and buy an £80 Android phone and stick 32GB of
microSD in it, most people wouldn't even know that is possible.

Don't be mislead by the relative speed of you old iPod touch to the
Sony, the current iPod touch is much faster that even the 4th gen one.