I recall several years ago going out for a very short X-Country ski in
the woods. Before the ski the leader asked the members of the group
whether anyone had a cell phone in case of accident. Many people said
they had their trusted cell phones with them and thought it a very good
idea.
While you may find this reasonable I find it ludicrous. The ski took all
of half an hour at which point we were back in the car park. I really
can't fath
om why people would want to destroy the experience of being away from
civilization and in nature by bringing technology with them. I realize
most of you don't understand my view point and say it can just be turned
off.
Yes an accident could happen but if you are that frightened of being in
the forest for half an hour it is probably best to stay at home.
To put it into perspective in 1976-7 when cell phones didn't exist I
cycled across Canada in 2 consecutive summers. While dangerous I guess
,I know my experience would not have been the same and in fact worse if
I was tethered to technology like a smart phone.