JohnSwenson wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I want in on this! I have been thinking a lot about it over the last few
> months. I am well accomplished at the hardware design part of this. I'm
> not sure most of you are aware of this but I do part time consulting for
> high end hiFi companies wanting to get into digitaal audio, I have lots
> of hardware experience doing just what this project is about and making
> it into products for low volume production.
>
> There seems to be an assumption that you need very high volumes to get
> low prices, this is not really the case. You need high volumes to get
> REALLY low price, but medium range prices is can be had for fairly low
> volumes. For example something along the complexity of the Touch main
> board, can be manufactured for around $125 in 25 quantity, thats board,
> parts and assembly. That does NOT include the case, full assembly etc,
> just the board. At 50 quantity you can get down to $100 a board.
>
> I have done designs using off the shelf boards and ones that I have done
> the whole thing from scratch, my current thinking is that for more than
> a couple systems it actually winds up being cheaper to do the whole
> thing from scratch, that way you get EXACTLY what you want. When using
> an off the shelf board you have to try and shoehorn your design into
> sombody elses vision, which rarely matches yours exactly.
>
> For example, some people around here have mentioned things like IR
> remotes, if your chosen existing board doesn't have the capability, you
> either live without it or you have to add a board that does it, and
> figure out how to connect that into some port on the existing board.
> When you do the whole thing yourself it is MUCH easier to add things
> like that directly to the main board.
>
> When doing it yourself you have a wide range of options available for
> including in the device, that would be very difficult to add to an
> existing board. For example as has been mentioned having FPGA based
> filters is something that is easy to add to our own board, and adds very
> little cost. I can easily put in a VERY high quality S/PDIF interface
> that will be better than just about anything out there, or even a USB
> output optimized for audio use.
>
> I have been doing systems like these for many years now and the biggest
> time sinc has always been the UI. Since the SB line already has good
> external UI options, I think it makes more sense to design a product to
> be a black box (but with a web server for configuration etc so you get
> away from the Duet problems). Having a display and interface along the
> lines of the Touch seems to  me to double or tripple the complexity of
> the project.
>
> I'm a little torn on one aspect of this, my passion is for very high
> quality DACs, having done systems similar to this several times I CAN
> say that I can do a better job for less money building very good DACs
> into the project than you can get by buying external DACs. It doesn't
> [...]

Hello John,
This is VERY exciting news.  I am not 100% sure where to go with this
and the next steps.  My overall feeling is that there are many users
that want a device.... but still questions if there is a "market" for
it.  I feel that if we assemble a small group, put together the design
and implement a "kickstarter" type project, we will get the interest
from this community.  I would assume we could easily get over 50 - 100
orders on the first batch if the price was right.

This leads to a much larger question of legalities with Logitech,
creation of an LLC or other company structure, how we further market,
etc.  Erland has already created the developers group.  I am wondering
if we should take this entire discussion to that group and the parties
that have real interest can join.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
--Dustin