Anyone reading this thread should try Squeezelite on a CuBox or a
Rasberry Pi, Pogoplug....

My original motivation for squeezelite is for a headless linux playback
engine which emulates as many features as possible of the Squeezebox
hardware so that it can integrate with existing LMS, but run on a small
linux device and drive a usb dac.  I think its close to release status
and has a few users at present.....  I.e. exactly what we could be
talking about here...

I think we can easliy do something which is a usable player for people
by constraining the scope:

1) target a small number of linux devices and create some standard
install scripts/images for them
2) start with a headless system (no ui, but target a device with hdmi
interface as we can expand into hdmi based user interface relatively
easliy); users can use LMS web interface, iPeng, SqueezePad etc to
controll it
3) start with usb audio as this means we can use off the shelf hardware
and let the user select the level of audio engineering they want from $5
upwards...
4) assume the user has some involvement in the install process and we
are not charging for the solution, so this allows the user to download
standard linux codecs without concerns over patent licensing...

Later we can add a user interface and potentially integrate server
functions.

For me a Cubox is making an excellent but expensive player.  A Raspberry
Pi is cheaper, but has problems with USB dac compatiblity (hopefully to
be resolved by the Pi developers).  Both provide usb out, ethernet and
wifi via usb and hdmi for a future user interface....