JohnSwenson wrote:

> Any thoughts of where we should go?

It really depends who we are going to try to convince to buy it.

If we are mainly looking at audiophile geeks, good support for async USB
DAC's is a lot more important than HDMI, most of them are going to be
fine with a headless box as long as it sounds excellent with their USB
DAC.

If we are mainly looking at trying to reach normal users, HDMI is more
important because these users can't afford a USB DAC that's better than
the DAC built into do the box. If we want HDMI, I think 512MB is a
minimum in GEN2, with 256MB or less it's better to skip HDMI completely
and just let people who want a screen use a separate device for that.
The only issue with a separate device for the screen is that it's going
to make it harder or even impossible to make some visualizations, like
an accurate VU-meter on the TV.

Based on what Triode says about rt_prempt possibly affecting sync and
S/PDIF, I would say that support for rt_prempt is more important than
both async USB DAC support and HDMI, so we need to ensure that.

My personal feeling is that if you want this to be something more than a
geek board with totally 50-100 audiophile users, HDMI, built-in DAC and
excellent S/PDIF is more important than support for USB DAC's. Skipping
or risking USB DAC support can result in that you loose some audiophile
users, skipping HDMI is going to decrease potential users a lot more. I
would not sacrifice everything else just to get ehci on the USB, but I
don't have a USB DAC at the moment.

Also, remember that everyone buying GEN1 would be prepared to take a
risk, since it's a temporary experimentation setup, so as long as we are
reasonably sure it will work, I think it's ok to try something in GEN1
and adjust it in a GEN1.5 if needed.

Finally, waiting a few months extra is probably not critical to anyone,
so if you prefer to do your own evaluation board to test it before
making 25 GEN1 that's probably ok.