I have a Cubieboard (Allwinner A10) based dev board.  There are a few
kernels ported to it.
Although data sheet indicate EHCI support I suspect it is like all the
other ARM SOC where the implementation may not be sufficient.
However teh A10 has USB and USB OTG interfaces and they are implemented
separately in silicon so perhaps the USB OTG might have a good ehci
implementation.
I think the on chip spdif only works to 48kHz

Rather than just lobbing loads of suggestions for alternative chips
without qualification, is there any test or procedure that can be
performed

1. To determine if ehci is a good implementation without having a 96Khz
DAC.
2. To determine if a kernel has the right scheduling/RT options.