I must be particularly stupid... :)

what *is* a "standard barrel connector" for 5V DC power? I have many
differently sized barrels here (and lengths, too). And where would I get
a (regular) wall-wart suitable for SBT? Are there known good/bad
wall-wart models? [eBay is a dangerous place to buy wall-warts, if you
worry about fire & safety]

I also don't see why someone would re-use a working power supply from a
working SBT. Wouldn't that obviously render the SBT inoperable? Or is
that lots of people have broken SBTs with working power supplies?

[I assume we're talking SBT; I know to my cost that not even all
Squeezebox models use compatible barrel jacks]

Erland, all: I'm really sorry to harp on, really not trolling, I just
don't get it :(

[PS - does anyone know the precise spec of the SBT barrel? I'm told that
it's the inside diam that's relevant, so measuring the outside diam
isn't necessarily the right answer (although it probably narrows it down
enough?). Then those of us with dozens of spare USB supplies could wire
up a connector]