donmacn wrote:
> I haven't looked at this in any detail yet, but the issue must be the
> storage memory used and the bandwidth needed to play larger
> 'uncompressed' files? Less compression = more memory and more network
> traffic?
That is correct, but for FLAC the difference in file sizes between
minimum compression (level 0) and maximum compression (level 8) is
relatively small. Certainly nothing like the differences in lossy codecs
such as MP3, precisely because FLAC is lossless. Using lower compression
may slightly speed up the ripping process, but depending on your
computer the limiting factor may be reading of the CD, not the
processing of the encoding to FLAC. Even though I usually rip at
compression level 5, I am tempted to switch to level 0.

donmacn wrote:
> As I mentioned above, I think I'm already using VBR. The portable
> devices are all ipods, 8Gb, 30Gb I think. I have had to be a little
> selective in what goes on and what stays off, but it hasn't really been
> a big issue. However, I had been using VBR on the basis that these were
> my only copies of the music, and were being streamed to the SBs - now
> that 'restriction' will be lifted, I realise that I would be able to
> keep lesser bitrate MP3s and get more onto the devices.
VBR means Variable Bit Rate. It means that the bitrate will vary
depending on the complexity of the music. However, within VBR there are
several options for quality of the output files. So VBR with the -v0
option gives you maximum sound quality _for_MP3_, and larger file sizes.
It is usually close to 320kbps. Similarly, VBR -v2 is around 256kbps,
VBR -v4 is around 192kbps, VBR -v6 is around 128kbps, etc. These
bitrates are approximate because the actual bitrate will depend on the
complexity of the music.

Unlike FLAC, these options in MP3 encoding make a _big_ difference in
sound quality and file size, because the encoding is lossy, and with -v6
you lose more data/music than you do with -v2. Whether or not you can
hear that loss depends on the quality of the initial recording, your
audio equipment, your listening environment, and your own ears. I lived
with -v6 on my MP3 copies for portable use for a long time, because my
equipment was cheap (iPod and $100 headphones) and my listening
environment was usually terrible (car or airplane). Now that I have
better in-ear monitors and sometimes manage to use them in quiet places
I'm planning to make a new MP3 copy of my FLAC library using -v4 or -v2.

You could look to see what quality of VBR you have been using to see if
they worth keeping, but you may as well make new MP3 copies when you
re-rip to make FLAC versions, because either VB or dBpoweramp will
easily let you make a parallel MP3 copy of your library, and if you do
it when doing your FLAC then that will take care of your MP3 tags as
well. All with zero incremental effort by you. But even then, you will
have to choose what level of lossy compression you want under VBR. I
recommend experimenting a bit to see what your threshold is for hearing
a difference, and for how much that difference matters versus being able
to hold more tracks on a given portable device.

As for the overall transition, I agree with the others who said you
should keep using your current LMS as is, and treat the re-ripping as a
separate project. Then when it's done, switch over to the new library.
You could certainly take the alternative approach of
add-the-new-and-delete-the-old incrementally, but that can get a bit
annoying. And disc space shouldn't be an issue because presumably the VB
appliance has all the disc space you need for both FLAC and MP3 copies
of your library.

Nothing high-end, but music anywhere I want it, and it's '100% wind
powered' (http://www.cleancurrents.com/). 'MSI single-core Atom
mini-desktop'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167032)
('Debian' (http://www.debian.org/) Squeeze 6.0.x) feeding: Living room:
'SB Touch'
(http://www.stereophile.com/mediaservers/logitech_squeezebox_touch_network_music_player/index.html)
(http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-325BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier?products/hifi-amplifiers/C325BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier)
> 'Vandersteen 1' (http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/1clit.html);
Kitchen/Dining: 'SB2'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20050428023747/http://www.slimdevices.com/)
(http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-2-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6)
(http://www.polkaudio.com/customaudio/rci/index.php?s=rc60i); Basement:
'SB2'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20050428023747/http://www.slimdevices.com/)
> 'JVC JA-S44'
(http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204813) > 'ESS
Tempest LS8'
(http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/205237-ess_tempest_ls_8_speakers/);
Bedroom: 'SB Radio'
(http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-audio-receivers-dars/logitech-squeezebox-radio-black/4505-6470_7-33770452.html);
Study: 'Squeezelite local player'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97046-Announce-Squeezelite-a-small-headless-squeezeplay-emulator-for-linux-(alsa-only)&highlight=squeezelite)
> 'Klipsch ProMedia 2.0'
(http://www.klipsch.com/promedia-ultra-2-0-computer-speaker-system);
Backyard deck: 'SB Receiver'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Receiver) > 'AudioSource Amp100'
(http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-2-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6)
> 'Polk Atrium 45'
(http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/atrium/index.php#atrium45); Kid's
bedroom:  'Boom'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Squeezebox_Boom); Roaming
controllers: Retina iPad with Squeezepad & iPeng, iPod touch with iPeng,
3 'SB Duet Controllers'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Controller), various SB infrared
remotes, 'Nokia N800' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N800); In the
bullpen (boxed up and ready to use if one of the above quits): 'SB3'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20051210015952/http://slimdevices.com/)
and one more 'SB Receiver'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Receiver)
http://www.last.fm/user/aubuti/