donmacn wrote:
> First off, I missed the 'secure' ripping option and started in 'burst'
> mode. I was surprised at how quick things were going by comparison to my
> previous process of EAC and Lame. Then I got a couple of tracks with
> inaccurate rips, looked a bit deeper, and found the 'secure' option.
> That's a bit slower! Doing a Bruce Springsteen greatest hits now, and
> the last track is tacking a looong time. But used to that from EAC.
This shouldn't happen as often in dBpa as in EAC, at least not if you
have dBpa set up correctly. I'm on the other side of the pond from my
dBpa right now, but you want a setting that will do a burst rip, and
then compare the rip (actually the checksums) to the AccurateRip
database. If your checksums match those of other users, then the rip is
considered good and dBpa moves along. That's how 99% of my rips with
dBpa go. If the checksums don't match, then that means (a) it's an
obscure disc (or pressing of a disc) for which no one has uploaded the
checksums to AccurateRip, or (b) the disc is damaged, or (c) drive
didn't read the disc well. Those should be the only cases in which dBpa
would need to go back and re-read until it is happy with the rip.

If you're getting very long rips on most of your CDs, then I would guess
you either (a) have your dBpa settings wrong, (b) the drive isn't
calibrated correctly, or (c) a lot of your discs are damaged. What does
the "ripping report" popup say when it completes a rip? That is,
confidence levels, number of passes, etc.

donmacn wrote:
> Tags though.... At the moment, I've just let dbpa follow its default
> settings. I'm getting the metadata and reviewing/changing that as
> necessary, then just letting it rip! I don't think I need anything too
> tricky. For me, Bruce Springsteen is just that, and not Springsteen,
> Bruce. I also tried a classical and compilation album, and they seem to
> have gone mainly OK. Presumably as long as I'm careful with reviewing
> the suggested metadata, then the generated tags can't be that bad...?
For popular music, the metadata sources that dBpa uses are very good. A
good tip is the "review metadata" button, which lets you see what
different metadata sources offer for tags, so that you can pick what you
like best tag by tag, with little or no hand typing involved.

donmacn wrote:
> Some small issues though. As I am a bagpiper, I have some bagpipe music!
> Some piping CDs will list a tune set by the time signature, then the
> names of the tunes. i.e. "6/8 marches: Lt Colonel So and So's farewell
> to someplace/tune 2/tune 3/ tune 4 / tune 5" It can make for some long
> titles! Would the forward slash in the time signature 6/8s or 2/4s or
> 9/8s or whatever, be interpreted by the tag naming convention as
> something else?
One great thing about tags is that characters that are "special
characters" for many operating systems (such as \ / : and the very
important question mark ?) are fine in tags, even though you could never
use them in a file name.

donmacn wrote:
> Piping also has its fair share of Gaelic language tune names. The
> language isn't an issue for me, but it can be for others, and typos are
> really common. In my test rip today, even though I'd corrected the
> spelling of the tunes, dpba kept the wrong spelling as part of its file
> 'title'. I can see this when I go into the file directory. But if I open
> them in MP3tag, they look fine. Even if I look at the selected columns,
> I can't see where this 'poor' naming is? (Sorry - I suspect that last
> bit's going to be too obscure and difficult to follow).
>
> For an efficient workflow, sticking with the dbpa tag writing would be
> very easy. Is it too much to hope for that it'll do a good job?

Are you possibly confusing the file name with the tag contents? They
don't have to be the same, and in fact, in many cases you don't want
them to be the same because some characters that are okay for tags are
not okay for file names (see previous point). This can be especially
important if the names of your tracks, albums or artists use characters
other than bog-standard non-accented Latin characters.

Although I rip with dBpa, I do most of my post-rip tag cleanup with
mp3tag. It has a better interface than dBpa for making mass changes to
tags.

And I agree with garym about using ReplayGain tags in DSP.

Btw, for things like "Springsteen, Bruce", take a closer look at the
tags using mp3tag or dBpa. I know that my dBpa is automatically set to
create an ARTISTSORT tag that is "Lastname, Firstname" because that is
how I like LMS and my Squeezeboxes to _sort_ my artists. Note that LMS
is perfectly capable of putting Bruce under "S" and still displaying the
name "Bruce Springsteen". Just like in a music shop.