donmacn wrote:
> On the question of 'Springsteen Bruce' - though I happily accept that
> LMS can interpret or display this sensibly, what's the benefit of having
> the additional ARTISTSORT element in the tag that might not get used? Is
> it simply to add it in because it's automatic and doesn't need any extra
> work? It does occur to me actually that in filing my CDs I have them
> under 'last name, first name' so Bruce is down with the 'S's; Mark
> Knopfler with the 'K's....
Well, if it doesn't get used then it doesn't have any benefit at all.
But if it does get used (and lots of software does use ARTISTSORT or
Artist Sort) then it's very beneficial if that's the way you want to
sort/view things. If I _had_ to view by Firstname Lastname I am sure I
would get used to it, but fortunately I don't have to. And if you know
you'll never use it, then you should omit that tag either at rip time or
afterward. Because if you want to see Bruce under "B" then you
definitely do not want an "ARTISTSORT=Springsteen, Bruce" tag in the
file.

Not to go too far into the deep end, but there are other good things
that "extra" tags can do. If you have a large collection of Springsteen
albums, are some listed under the Artist "Bruce Springsteen" and others
under "Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band"? Or "Neil Young" and
"Neil Young and Crazy Horse" or "Patti Smith" and "Patti Smith Group"
etc? This is one example where the ALBUMARTIST tag can be useful. I tag
each of those examples using the artist's name only in the ALBUMARTIST
tag, and the name of the configuration (as listed on the album cover
itself) in the ARTIST tag. LMS then groups them together (eg, all Bruce
together, all Neil together, all Patti together) when browsing by
artist.