As DJanGo asks, "SO which way you wanna die and what size of Money you
wanna spend? "

What works for me is a master / slave two server combination. Both
systems run Win 7/64
The master is an old Antec P182 case with a quad core Intel chip and a
bunch of 2GB drives, 2 for music, one for video and one for TV series.
All new music is ripped, tagged, processed by MusicIP etc and stored on
the master. New versions of LMS 7.8 are also run there. This system is
powered down when not in use.

The slave is a mini-ITX system with a low power AMD motherboard and 2
2TB drives. Power draw during a rescan is about 35 watts, normal LMS
playing power draw is well below that. This system starts with Wake on
Lan and is shut down by the Server Power Control plugin. It lives under
the 40" TV and plays Video and DVDs when needed.

The music library is kept in sync using Syncback -
http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/ . Backup is also done by Syncback
and Seagate USB 2TB Desktop Expansion Drives.

I suggest that a dedicated server will be better for you than utilising
a laptop that is surplus to requirements. You could keep using the
laptop as the Master like I do for processing new music and use the
dedicated server as the slave. I would replace the 2TB USB drives with
Seagate 4TB drives.

Now the reading list - This case looks good -
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Fractal_Design_Node_304, pick a
motherboard from -
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z87-motherboard-roundup,3656.html,
disks from -
http://www.storagereview.com/wd_black_4tb_desktop_hard_drive_review_wd4003fzex
.

All the decisions - Single system or Master / Slave, then Operating
system, CPU, motherboard (my next one will be a mini-ITX with an onboard
mSATA 120GB SSD for drive C), HDD size, HDD speed (and therefore power
draw) await you.

Happy reading.

A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.