The way I handle things is that I use a HP Microserver running Ubuntu
for storage. I don't use RAID or any volume spanning. I then
periodically mirror each HDD in the HP Microserver to a separate
external backup HDD (formatted as NTFS) of the same size (2TB) using an
eSata connection. As only the changes are copied over this doesn't take
that much time.

If anything goes wrong I can always access the data on the backup HDDs
from Windows.

Not perhaps the most elegant solution but it suits me.

Touch, Meridian G92, Meridian G55, PMC FB1+ speakers, HP Proliant
Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.