A headless Linux or Windows server. For Windows, it doesn't need to be a
server OS - Windows 7 Pro would be my recommendation if you go that
route, with native Remote Desktop Server rather than using VNC. If you'd
like some disk pooling and perhaps disk redundancy, I would use
'flexRAID' (http://www.flexraid.com/) (on Windows) instead of hardware
RAID. More flexible, easier to manage, and MUCH less prone to user
f***ups when you lose a drive.

For backup, a mirror computer system. It could have identical specs as
the server above, then could be used in its place if the first system
fails. Or, it could have lesser specs to save a few dollars and be used
solely for backup. With that much data, a significant percentage of the
cost will be in the hard drives themselves, so building a second system
for backup should be reasonable. Make sure you have a gigabit network,
as you'll be doing backups across the network. The time to do backups
shouldn't be a concern any more, as you won't be swapping drives.