@cottingham

I think there are several reasons to use LMS with Chromecast, instead of
just Chromecast alone. First one is all about ease-of-use. LMS lets us
control everything from within a single app. This is very
straightforward and comfortable. If I want to listen to a track on
Qobuz, then I just select it and hit Play, if I want to change over to
webradio, no big deal. On Chromecast I have to open the app, connect it
to the CC I want to use, wait for it to connect, then start streaming.
If I want to change from Streaming to Radio, then I have to open another
app, connect to CC etc. Much more hassle. If I want to use local music,
then it's a different app again.
Changing Players, Syncing them etc is also less intuitive than on LMS,
at least at the moment.
Another thing is "Start Playing" that I love on LMS/PiCorePlayer. I just
turn on the power on my Player, and the music starts. No need to use my
Smartphone at all.

Then there is Legacy support and Compatibility. We've all invested into
this Ecosystem already. With Chromecast Audio, I could augment that,
adding it in places where I already have active speakers. The places
where I have passive speakers are better served with the
RaspberryPi/Hifiberry Amp combination, as this is the slimmest system.
Only one power lead, no fuss, no hassle, and Volume Control right from
my LMS Control app. With Chromecast Audio I'd have to buy an Amp,
connect the CC to it, then I've got more devices, more cables, less
ease-of-use.

Well, that's my take on the affair. Of course, if Google gets serious
about Music Streaming and starts opying Sonos (Central Control app with
Plugins, devices for different puropses) then things might look
different. Time will tell!