An update as of Saturday morning.

I did activate squeeze2upnp and indeed, as CommanderROR's research
predicted, the Chromecast is not found as a DLNA device. So, at least
for now, the dream of an inexpensive "real" Squeezebox is not
happening.

Casting from separate Android apps is very unsatisfying. Really makes
one miss the unified interface the Squeezebox system provides.

Most promising is using Squeeze Player to cast from a phone (post #39).
But doing this last night took my phone battery from near-fully-charged
to nearly-dead in about two hours. Never had a phone lose charge so
fast. Evidently casting takes juice! But, if one was willing to get a
cheap cast-capable Android (locally MetroPCS offers a no contract LG
Leon LTE running 5.0 Lollipop for $29) and dedicate it to music player
duties, one could put together an "almost-a-real-Squeezebox" device.
Lets see - $35 for the Chromecast Audio - $29 for the phone - Squeeze
Player is free - that's $64 total. Both the phone and Chromecast would
need constant power, but the so does a Touch. Use another phone as
controller, or any other Squeezebox control. Could work.