d6jg wrote:
> I have had a more detailed read now and I see that they are working on
> 24/192 capability and also DSD.
Yes.

> As I read it Roon is a possible replacement for LMS with a greater
> metadata based database (.net?) but currently lacking some of the
> features that make LMS as great as it is.
Yes, Roon is very "young" and not free. The other main feature is very
good content agregation with music content providers (only TIDAL now).
A lot of Squeeze / LMS features are not available (radio, smartmix for
example). Ui is good, metadata too, and also classical music management.

> Have you direct experience of it with a player(s) other than a SB?
> What is the synchronisation like? It claims multi player sync.
Yes i use it since few months. I use AirPlay to stream to ATV feeding my
DAC optical input. No experience in syncing.

> it create heavy bandwidth on your internet connection when it is
> building its database?
No it doesn't for me with a 7000 albums library but i use a good
Internet link.

> Or is it dynamic lookup based as and when you play something?
Database is local (near Gb) but there is some sync (metatada
refreshment). Bandwith and sync ressources are almost required for the
TIDAL contents agregation.

> Crucially for me it's control app would have to be pretty special to
> oust iPeng from my iPhone
Good UI on IPAD but no Iphone app yet.

> and we would definitely need hi-res BBC iPlayer access.
Not yet, but Roon is young an they plans to add others externals
services.

> Are they developing a Linux headless server version?
Yes but not available yet.

> What exactly is RoonPlayer?
I don't know RoonPlayer.
RoonSpeakers is a small software intended to run on
WIN/MAC/Linux/ANDROID ...and others nano devices like raspberry to allow
them to act as "endpoints" and play the streams from Roon server (no UI,
only player). RoonSpeakers is not released yet but i hope i will before
2016.

Regards

SqueezeBoxServer 7.9 / ReadyNas Pro (x86) | SBTouch - SB3 - Duet - Boom
- Ipeng
SBTouch => Rega DAC => Rega Brio R amp => Harbeth SLH5 speakers
'see details & photos here, 4 slides'
(https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1icpPBYH_gxzcdRBn5Gl28FNBTRxgQaDhk7UnxiPclhU/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000)