Mnyb wrote:
> Is ther anyone thinking about some open player protocol ? I take a guess
> that slimproto or what it's called for our squeezeboxes actually are
> that open . That someone could write players and servers . But I guess
> no one has thought of advertising it as an open standard with
> LMS/mysqueezebox.com as some kind of reference application :)

Vendors call their proprietary technologies "standard" as a marketing
ploy - but they are weapons. Open standards do not help vendors as
customer can move away from their tech - Apple created their codecs such
as ALAC, AIFF and don't support Flac.  MS created WMA, WMA Lossles etc.
Vnedors do not like or want Open standards - only when customer demand
it by buying other products wuill they implemen an open standards.  uPNP
was nearly reasonable but DLNA "standardised" it by minimising
functionality so there was still room for proprietary stuff.

A long time ago - a email standard was created X.400 - it had built in
standardised (i.e. not vendor specific) authentication, encrytpion and
nonrepudiation. It has all the facilities that people need now but
vendors saw a system that would compete against their Outlook/Lotus
Notes/cc:mail etc. so the vendors  X.400 implementations (required by
govts) were slow, clunky and cumbersome and vendors "persuaded"
companies & people to use their proprietary systems by making sure their
systems were flash, slick and flashy.