@bpa

That's the crux I guess. As much as I like "open standards" like on LMS,
there is always the issue with DRM and similar stuff. So, while t's
pretty neat that LMS allows me to build my own Players, it's not so easy
to get content, especially all the new streaming services, because they
don't want to invest in an "open" system where they can't control what
happens with their content.

Companies like Sonos milk their customers with their ease-of-use and
sell their systems at outrageous prices. If you look at something like
the Play:1 and compare the offered music quality (it's not even
Stereo!!!) to the price tag you will see what I mean.

Google and Amazon are doing a decent job of stirring up that market, by
offering systems that are versatile and vastly cheaper than what Sonos
and others offer. Amazon FireTV and also the Kindle Readers are great,
and the streamlined UI and good compatibility (the FireTV supports
Netflix and other apps) actually make this very attractive to users.

Google goes even further, and offers their "standard" both with their
own cheap hardware and third party devices with integrated support. The
Chromecast Video (1st Gen) was a pretty revolutionary device, even if it
was (and is) very limited.
The extension of the Cast Protocol to "audio-only" product never took
off, because nobody really jumped onboard (Sony was pretty much alone in
adopting it, and never really did much marketing) but the introduction
of the low-cost yet extremely capable CCA turned that round and I bet
there are going to be more Speakers and AVRs with Cast support onboard
soon.
And Device availability means that more and more apps will support the
protocol. Most of the Streaming Services already support it, and so do
some of the Radio apps (although for them it's a problem, since they can
no longer play their ads...) so this is a product that is here to stay,
is well supported and will probably see quite a few projects grow around
it.

And about the "Fragmentation" problem: That is one of the reasons why
Google is being less open with Android Wear, Cast and so on, because
that means they can more easily enforce a certain level of compliance
for all Wear and Cast enabled devices.