CommanderROR wrote:
> The extension of the Cast Protocol to "audio-only" product never took
> off, because nobody really jumped onboard (Sony was pretty much alone in
> adopting it, and never really did much marketing) but the introduction
> of the low-cost yet extremely capable CCA turned that round and I bet
> there are going to be more Speakers and AVRs with Cast support onboard
> soon.
> And Device availability means that more and more apps will support the
> protocol. Most of the Streaming Services already support it, and so do
> some of the Radio apps (although for them it's a problem, since they can
> no longer play their ads...) so this is a product that is here to stay,
> is well supported and will probably see quite a few projects grow around
> it.

It's easy for Streaming services to adopt - there is little effort
especially as a lot of javascript code for Web player (including DRM)
can be reused as Cast receiverApp.
Not sure about Remote screen and Games part of Cast just yet.

To add Cast into non Google hardware - speaker vendors will want to
charge a premium for a feature and many users may not pay premium if CCA
costs about €39. Speaker vendors also then have to decide what protocols
to support Bluetooth (which codec), Airplay, Cast, Allplay ....
Development & Maintenance of multiple protocols all "moving" at
different speed  may cost more than premium so it only makes sense with
high end speaker products probably starting about say €150. Adding Cast
into AVR makes some sense as products are higher costs and more
technical.